[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [general] New Software Release Announcements

Rich Mattes ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 14:18:59 UTC 2017

This is a good idea, and I think it'd be a nice way for people to get the word out about software they're working on.

However, I agree that such a list should encourage posts about software that isn't released in binary form as well.  If someone stumbles across a source package and is interested enough in the project to want a binary release, they can work with the upstream developers to make it happen (especially if the downstream user already versed in the packaging process.)  Packaging isn't difficult, but it is a different skill set, and not everyone is interested in learning it or taking on the additional package maintenance burden.  ROS could take a page from Linux distributions here, where the packagers are mostly independent of the software projects, but work with upstream to make the software available.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/13) or reply to this email to respond.