[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [robot description formats] Add attribute to indicate if a mesh is a convex hull?

Georg Bartels ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 07:47:40 UTC 2018

Thanks for the detailed response. I was not aware of issues caused by the encoding of the meshes. Interesting.

Regarding your original request, I _personally_ think that this is an application-specific detail and would model it through ROS parameters. This strikes me as the "most KISS" approach.

However, you only add information that relates to the robot model. So, a case can also be made that the URDF is the most specific (and hence suitable) place to put.

I'd like to point out that then you can get into issues of keeping the information consistent: There can be concave meshes that are marked as convex --what does the software do? But maybe that is a case of 'garbage in, garbage out'.

In conclusion, I wouldn't do it, but I see where you are coming from. ;)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/add-attribute-to-indicate-if-a-mesh-is-a-convex-hull/4479/7) or reply to this email to respond.