[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] Streaming Motion Interfaces

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 08:36:52 UTC 2018

I don't think real-time trajectory modification would have helped there: It's not like the robot could see that it was going wrong, but couldn't change the trajectory in time. Your "bolt through hole" example is a typical instance of a common class of problems encountered in industrial automation, and the solution is also a very typical solution by automation engineers: Painstakingly re-engineer the environment and the product to solve one specific problem in robotic assembly. Rinse, repeat. This is why automation is prohibitively expensive today.

Humans are just still much better than robots at "seeing with their hands". What would have helped the robot to put the bolt through the hole without changing the assembled product is tactile feedback, maybe a gripper capable of in-hand manipulation, and above all the AI to compute the correct motions based on that feedback. We're not there yet, but we're getting there. :smiley:

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/streaming-motion-interfaces/5858/7) or reply to this email to respond.