[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] An Experimental JVM Based Robotics Platform (Work In Progress)

Damian Peckett ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 22:42:49 UTC 2018

 I've recently begun working on an experimental JVM based robotics platform that's loosely inspired by ROS. I think it'd be great to open up robotics development on the JVM, and I'm looking to experiment with how a JVM based approach would work and perform. The project is early stage but I thought I'd start a thread for feedback and to share progress updates.

What I'm building is rather vertically integrated in that it touches on many layers of the robotics stack. I'm using a message based protocol on top of CAN FD for talking to peripherals, an operating system based off android AOSP for the host system (stripped down / headless), and a virtual actor framework on the JVM for scheduling and executing compute nodes.

There's a bunch of interesting things I'm baking in like quality of service, redundancy, security and authentication, mixed criticality (hard and soft real-time domains). It's all a bit of an experiment and I'm eager to see how it turns out (first target is the turtlebot platform).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/an-experimental-jvm-based-robotics-platform-work-in-progress/6688/1) or reply to this email to respond.