[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Bill Smart ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 05:57:02 UTC 2018

I think that the issue of emergent bugs that @moritz mentions is the thing that worries me most about the transition, since this sort of thing is inevitable.  However, my hunch is that there are going to be fewer of them, since we're moving to a more robust communication system, and because Real Companies (tm) with Real Software Engineers (tm) are now starting to contribute to ROS (hat tip to @mkhansen and his crew, among others).  How many of the emergent bugs in ROS1 were because of code written by grad students that wasn't properly tested?

The big question, of course, is whether the new (hopefully) more mature and better-developed parts of ROS2 will dominate the inevitable emergent bugs.  I have no idea, but I'm at least a little optimistic.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/18) or reply to this email to respond.