[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Thibault Kruse ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 13:53:13 UTC 2018

> For reference, from our internal staffing plans I estimate that preparing and releasing a ROS 1 distro requires 8-9 person-months of effort from our team.

> Since leaving Willow Garage in 2012, weve received approximately $0 directed at maintenance or improvement of ROS 1.

So for each future release of ROS1, how much $ would you want to make more releases? Just enough for 8/9 person-months every year? Can it be raised via kickstarter?

If the problem is having developers, what other options exist? Does the releaser have to be in the bay area? Can it be a freelancer / outside organisation similar to what I guess is still happening with ROS answers?

> time that we spend on ROS 1 is time that that were not spending on ROS 2, thereby (further) delaying the development of the latter. And the risk in that delay is also real: at some point organizations that eagerly want ROS 2 because ROS 1 doesnt meet their needs will decide to stop waiting and instead build or buy something else, likely a proprietary solution.

Let's check this risk. We assume there is a company X that will wait for ROS2 if no more ROS1 releases are done (8-9 person-months gained every year), but not wait if ROS1 continues to have releases. So company X has at least 3 options: