[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS graph information tools implementation discussion

Ross Desmond ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 04:09:24 UTC 2018

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:30, topic:674"]

What do you mean by daemon here?

[/quote]

Regardless of the nature of which tool access's the node graph, the rcl layer should supply an interface to retrieve the node graph data. This "daemon" refers to the ros2cli daemon that is running for current node graph tools.

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:30, topic:674"]

I dont see a need to introduce a secondary communication protocol.

[/quote]

SDP IS "Simple Discovery Protocol" which FastRTPS and RTIConnext uses. However there has been some concern to using multicast for discovery in DDS in some production architectures. My proposal is to use the current discovery protocol if there are no objections.

[quote="gbiggs, post:31, topic:674"]

The underlying middleware knows all that stuff already,

[/quote]

Exactly, however it is not exposed through rcl. I propose I push code to expose this information through the rcl->rmw layer with FastRTPS.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-graph-information-tools-implementation-discussion/674/32) or reply to this email to respond.