[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS 2 Customer Stories Report

Dave Coleman via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 21:38:32 UTC 2019

[quote="vmayoral, post:5, topic:8158"]

Out of curiosity, whats the rationale you used to pick the user stories? Was there any particular geographical target or application use case that you prioritized to pick these companies? Is any of them involved to some extend in the development of ROS 2?

[/quote]

We picked our user stories based on my network of long-time veteran ROS users, recent ROS clients of PickNik's, and a few robotics software companies that chose not to use ROS.

[quote="vmayoral, post:5, topic:8158"]

Ive been rather surprised by some of the criticisms to ROS 2. Id argue against those that claim that its been overpromising or that the core infrastructure is immature. In several aspects, as its been shown by several reports, it already overcomes the capabilities of ROS.

[/quote]

Some of the feedback we collected did appear to be due to misinformation of the current status of ROS 2. Some ROS users evaluated ROS 2 several years ago and maintain outdated views, but we the ROS 2 community still need to make effort to clear up these views. Several times I had to stop myself from interjecting during the interviews "not anymore since the Crystal release!"

[quote="mkhansen, post:7, topic:8158"]

Great report, thanks so much for gathering and summarizing this data.

[/quote]

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! Glad to see some constructive discussions coming from this.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-customer-stories-report/8158/11) or reply to this email to respond.