[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] New PCA9685 driver for ROS

Dheera Venkatraman via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 08:01:39 UTC 2019

I wrote a driver for the PCA9685 I2C PWM driver chip. This chip is intended to be used with LED applications but is also used in a number of servo and motor controller boards, including a few Adafruit and Waveshare boards among others.

A couple of notable features I added that I haven't seen done in other similar packages:
- The ability to update only certain channels in a ROS command, and not update all of them. This allows multiple ROS nodes to publish to the same command topic but take charge of different subsets of the 16 channels.
- A timeout. If a channel isn't updated within that time, it gets set to 0. This is useful to avoid servos burning out if your control logic crashes, and also as a heartbeat timeout in the case of motor controllers.

https://github.com/dheera/ros-pwm-pca9685

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-pca9685-driver-for-ros/8299/1) or reply to this email to respond.