Author: FIXED-TERM Stambler Adam (CR/RTC1.1-NA)
To: ros-users@code.ros.org
Subject: [ros-users] Streaming Video to the Web From Ros Images
Hello Folks,

I am looking to stream video from some of our cameras running through ROS on to the web. Has anyone implemented a solution to take the published images, encode/compress them, and then serve them to a webpage?

In my search, the only existing solution seems to be in Willow Garage's WebUI. In the WebUI, they have a python threaded HTTP server which serves the movie as a motion jpeg. The http request serves a Content type multipart/x-mixed-replace http connection and continually pushes a new jpg to the web browser every time a new image is published.

My ideal solution would be to have a server which delivered Theora or h.264 compressed image stream that could be viewed using the html5 <video> tag. Has anyone implemented something similar or have a suggestion about how to implement it easily?

Thank you for the help,
Adam Stambler