Author: Nicholas Butko
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] Linking to packages with shared libraries
How do packages tell other packages to add them to the *runtime* dynamic library path?

I built the opencv2 package, and then made a package that depended on it. In the dependent package I made a simple HelloWorld that gets and displays images from the camera. Everything built correctly, but the binary wouldn't run because the shared library was not loaded.

I manually modified my global shared library path (in .bashrc) to include opencv2's lib directory, and then my program ran fine. But it would be better if I didn't have to manually hack my shared library path for every package with shared libraries.

Is there a good solution to this problem?

--Nick