[ros-users] Control PR2 to grasp objects

Sachin Chitta sachinc at willowgarage.com
Mon Apr 5 00:51:13 UTC 2010

Hi Yun,

You can attach objects to parts of the robot body using the
AttachedCollisionObject message in the mapping_msgs package. The topic to
broadcast this message on is the "attached_collision_object" topic. The
message lets you specify the object shape, the link that the object will be
attached to, the pose relative to this link and a set of links with with
collisions will be disabled for the object. Have a look at the message file,
the comments in the message should help you out.

We are in the process of putting up tutorials for this with example code and
I will send out an email with a pointer to a tutorial as soon as we get one
up on the Wiki.

Regards,
Sachin

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Yun Jiang <helenjyun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an project of controlling PR2 to grasp objects. I'm new to
> ROS and got several stupid questions,
>
> 1) after grasping, when I use planner to move the arm, it always returned
> the state is in collision. I felt that I probably should attach the object
> to the robot to avoid obstacle detection for it. But I don't know how. Is
> there any service or simple way to do this?
>
> 2) I read tutorials about moving one arm, but I'm wondering if I can
> control two arms simultaneously so that they can move together?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best,
> Yun
>
> --