[ros-users] rviz: head's up display in rviz, view following a frame, and Blender3D

Josh Faust jfaust at willowgarage.com
Fri Apr 16 17:01:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Patrick Bouffard <
patrick.m.bouffard at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few rviz questions:
>
> I'm wondering if there is a hack that would enable one to draw
> HUD-like items over the rviz 3D display. The most simple case would be
> simply text but 2-d vector graphics (or even bitmaps) would be useful
> too.

There's no way of doing that right now, no.  Feel free to file a feature
request:
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/newticket?component=visualization&type=enhancement&visualization

> Also, is there some way to define a View that is not static relative
> to the world, i.e. one that is attached to a particular frame in the
> transform tree?

This is exactly what the (badly named) "Target Frame" does:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rviz/UserGuide#Coordinate_Frames.  The target frame
is saved as part of the view.

> Finally, can anyone suggest a method for converting meshes created in
> (or imported into) Blender3D, to ones that can be used in rviz?

You can export them as either STL binary files or use the Ogre .mesh
exporter.  I think this is included in blender but I'm not sure.