[ros-users] ROS Tutorial under OSX 10.6

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu Nov 4 18:14:24 UTC 2010

I'll note that a lot of the Diamondback work we're doing is expressly to try
and make this bringup easier, though it is hard to maintain compatible with
Apple's development choices.

The new rx stacks moves the wx dependencies out of ROS that are so
problematic on OS X -- we've also announced that we're switching the Qt in
the future, as wx seems to not have its act together anymore.

We've also moved visualization_msgs into common_msgs, which should reduce
the pollution of "visualization_common" within the stack dependency chain.
Also, future versions of RViz (not Diamondback, but possible E-turtle), will
be Qt based.

The last change we're hoping to make is to switch all of the Python-related
dependencies on OS X to use the builtin Python interpreter and
easy_install/pip. Originally we had brought things up to be compatible with
10.4 and 10.5. If we drop 10.4 support, we no longer need to depend on
Macports for Python, which I think is a fairly big win given the additional
headaches we've had there.

 - Ken