[ros-users] Current state of SMACH in ROS

Jonathan Bohren jonathan.bohren at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:10:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Herman Bruyninckx <
Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> SMACH is a small step in this direction.

I couldn't agree more. SMACH was originally designed to provide a rapid way
to do coordination in a more formal way than a  boatload of hacked-together
scripts, but it's definitely not the end-all be-all for high-level
coordination. I've been meaning to post to ros-users to gather some
feedback from SMACH users on both patterns that they've found useful as
well as problems where it felt too limited or too unwieldy, but I didn't
want to do so until I had some time to actually digest all the responses.
Maybe it's time to do that now.