[ros-users] [Orocos-users] Joint controller manager

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
Wed Jan 30 16:48:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Wim Meeussen <wim at hidof.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

Great to see so much interest in this topic!

> > HiDOF's repositories:
> > https://github.com/willowgarage/ros_control
> > https://github.com/willowgarage/ros_controllers
>
> There's also a wiki with some basic usage patterns here
> <https://github.com/willowgarage/ros_control/wiki>.

Hey Wim,

I wasn't aware of this resource, good!.

> This should be a
> good start for understanding the design a little better.  As Sachin
> mentioned earlier, the main idea behind this effort was to remove the
> PR2 specific assumptions that went into the pr2_mechanism_controller.
> The new framework itself does not try to impose or invent any specific
> interface to your robot, but it does allow the community to come up
> with a set of (domain specific) common interfaces that will make it
> possible to share code/controllers more easily.
>

> > I'll probably fork ros_control and do pull requests if I need to
> add/modify
> > something in their codebase.
>
> Sounds like a good plan. The development on the basic framework has
> settled down, so this would be a great time to look at where we can
> improve things. We're still actively working on the project, currently
> verifying realtime safety of code.

We'll be running things on Xenomai, so this is high in our list as well.

> Our next task is to port some of
> the most common controllers, and in the process pull out useful pieces
> (such as the trajectory management) into separate libraries.  From
> this thread I see that we're not the first ones trying to separate out
> the trajectory management code; I'd love to joint forces and end up
> with a single code base we can maintain together.  Which code base
> would be the best starting point for this effort?

I just pushed a folder named legacy_code in [1] that contains our port of
the JointTrajectoryActionController, and the component that exposes the
pr2_controller_manager-like component. The only changes I added from our
internal codebase is the header license which was missing on a few files.

Something worth noting is that the trajectory manipulation parts are
factored out of the JointTrajectoryActionController. I remember not being
entirely happy of how I ended up cutting the cake there, but it's a start.
I've also added a README, which provides some guiding comments.

On another note, since a few people have shown an interest to participate
in this effort, how about keeping design discussions here, but using
the ROS/Orocos
Robot Control Special Interest Group [2] created by Jonathan to discuss the
who-does-what-and-when, and not spam this list as much?. So sign up if you
want to participate!.

...I'll now go back and do my part checking out the code Jonathan shared
yesterday.

Adolfo,

[1] https://github.com/pal-robotics/orocos_controller_manager
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/ros-robot-control-sig